Metamorphose

METAMORPHOSE

I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame the earth seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy the air, look you, this mighty o'rehanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire; why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, how like an angel in apprehension, how like a God! The beauty of the world, paragon of animals; and yet to me, what is this quintessence of dusk. Man delights not me, no, nor women neither, nor women neither.

What's new?

This Monthly's Funny



Links


Archives


You may leave comments by clicking
on the stories below. Be nice :)

Banner


Listed on BlogShares
Locations of visitors to this page
Technorati Profile
Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The pole is leaving!
Our dear house mate Maria breaks the news to us that she is leaving our abode to live in Cornwall, because she is in love. She is of course patching things up with her ex and they are going to start afresh down in the country. She has tried to get herself a job with the OT social services in Cornwall with no success, but alas this does not phase her, nor with her current management in London offering her lots more money to stay. She is in 'love'... I tell you!

Rose colored glasses ? Blind ? An overextension of thought which has melted into the synopsis of some utopian ideal ? Who knows really, I didn't want to really find out. Maria finally understands when I shake my head and walk away that I disagree and that there is no bother talking further with me about it, so she giggles whenever I do it. I could be everyone's biggest critic as well as my own sometimes, and with that comes bottomless opinions and sketchy hunches to come to final judgement which is more then usually pulled apart by Emily when she's in the room.

I came up with one assumption the other week that the wireless internet works better in the evening. I believed that since sound travels further at night (another baseless fact of months in wet jungles being silent and not alerting the enemy... well wasn't really any enemy but I was told there was and I had a rifle which had a name ... DIGRESS), that wireless would work better in evening. Hell I don't care about volumes of traffic throughout the day nor the abundance of alien activity during prime time television. I thought it was a good statement.

Point 1) due to the fact that Emily was having problems with it and was in way asking me to fix her laptop and two it was reminding me that Maria's laptop needed to be put on the household wireless network.
Point 2) cold beer and a good movie was playing... Over the Top - Sly Stallone. Yeh you know you love it too!
Point 3) I was assuming and when I do I'm always right .... dammit!

Emily with her wisdom cracks open her high school science book knowledge and says. 'So why do you think that is? Atmosphere?'

Now this is during a part in the movie when Sly and getting his son to arm wrestle, so it's a very pivotal point of the movie.

I throw the curve ball. 'Doesn't sound travel further during the evening.'

'So you think because sound travels further the night that the wireless works on the same principle? Wireless doesn't travel on sound though.'

The son run's out of the store crying and I've now missed him getting a whooping from the ginga kid who's been playing pinball, because he's a wizard. My voice goes a little up an octave looking for the beer and reaching for cigarettes.
'Ahhh yeh, why do you think you get better reception on television at night sometimes then during the day?'
I stand up, knowing I now have 5 minutes grace of adverts before Sly's son comes back and dislocates the ginga kids arm.

Emily half closes her laptop and winds up 'Well doesn't it work on a completely different principle.......' The door shuts behind me as I turn around, shake my head and light up.

I don't pretend to live in a bubble, and I sure as hell don't wish to know everything in life. I'm happy understanding and believing Luke's knowledge and misinforming the public around me sometimes. It's not like my life is going to be better off knowing the in's and out's of atmospheric pressure and traffic volumes of electronic data flying around my head. I'll leave that up to the lab rats who want to make everything smaller for me. Are people too educated these days to hear a good old yarn? If it looks like shit and if it smells like shit, it must be shit? True, but it could be something very else entirely since some chocolate I have smelt in Eastern Europe doesn't smell that great, thus a story unfolds.

I wish Maria all the very best luck down in Cornwall, but I did remind her of one thing, being an absolute realist.

'Remember Maria, shit happens though!'



Further reading information for the nerds : Testing a wireless network


ps. I named it Mary.

LS at 12/06/2006 04:25:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Diary of the Gods - Jetblack